BelievAble Talks seeks to reach out to young people, to the secular and sceptical mind, and to anyone interested in the often-contentious relationship between religion and science. It is a platform for open and honest dialogue where questions and doubt are welcome, as the main premise of this initiative is that the beauty of rational and life-enriching thought is found in the process of inquiry and the search for objective truth. The plan is to produce materials meant to evaluate and give a fair hearing to varying (sometimes opposing) views on spirituality, faith, and science by engaging some of the latest theories and research from relevant fields of study.
The first project on this platform is the launch of the docuseries “Beyond the burden of proof”. This is a seven-part series which focuses on faith, truth & reality, religion & violence, cosmology, the theory of evolution, morality, and the future. The presentations are not sermons or Bible studies, and the objective is to provide an ‘open door’ for further inquiry on spiritual matters.
On Sunday, 1 August, the series was launched with Episode 1: The faith imperative. Episodes are being uploaded at intervals of one to two weeks and they all can be viewed on the website or on YouTube. The first episode can be watched here, with the second due to premiere on Sunday, 8 August.
This is a solely Adventist ‘product’ and it has been a very enriching and exciting project to work on thus far; it is also a clear proof that geographical borders and distance are, nowadays, rendered inconsequential. Here are the contributors to the project:
- Andre Brink, South Africa (True South Media/Adventist Review)—Producer;
- Evelyn Tomkelski, Brazil/Ireland—Animation/Graphics/Website design/Social media;
- Saake Botha, South Africa (Helderberg College, theology student)—Video editing;
- Jeferson Luiz, Brazil/England—Website programmer;
- Maddy Voinea, Australia (Bluekino)—Video Intro/BelievAble Talks logo;
- Stefan Stanciu, England (South England Conference Media)—Studio recording/Subtitles;
- Script Advisors/Consultants: Dr John Baildam, England (Principal, Newbold College); Dr Alvin Masarira, South Africa; David Neal, England (Editor, Stanborough Press); Dr Kirk Thomas, England (Evangelism Department Director, BUC); Prof John Walton, Scotland;
- Adrian Bocaneanu, USA/Romania & Oana Serb, Ireland—Romanian translation;
- Dan Serb, Ireland—Writer/Presenter.
Special thanks to the team for their hard work and commitment! We also thank our sponsors: Irish Mission, British Union Conference, Trans-European Division, and the Emerald Foundation (USA).
Currently the docuseries can be watched on the BelievAble Talks website and YouTube channel; once completed, the plan is for it to be shown on www.adventistreview.tv as well as be carried by various online and TV networks.
Blessed viewing, and feel free to share this witnessing tool with anyone you think may be interested in the topics covered.
“For from Him and through Him and for Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever! Amen”—Romans 11:36.