A broad range of disabilities affect vision. Typically, a visual impairment is identified as a condition in which visual acuity is not sufficient for the individual to participate fully in activities of everyday life. Living with blindness or low vision can be challenging and isolating. Multiple factors, including individual temperament, the degree of cultural acceptance of the impairment, and the degree of family and church support impact an individual’s interest in and involvement with the church. Finally, visual disabilities can impact how a person can gain access to and understand the power of the gospel. It is critical that church members address these issues when present and support worshipers with visual impairment or blindness in order to fully share the gospel message.
Five Goals of Possibility Ministries and Individuals with Visual Disabilities:
- Accessibility. Possibility Ministries assists church leaders in learning how to make all structures, buildings and programs available to all. The point of this goal is to provide an environment in which the blind and those with low vision feel welcome and have access to all areas of church life.
- Education. The goal is to train people without special needs and those with special needs to work collaboratively in building God’s kingdom. Resources should be continually developed for and made available to church members. These resources will provide guidance for the inclusion of individuals with blindness or low vision throughout the church structure.
- Encouragement. The focus of this goal is to promote participation in all aspects of church life. Providing a safe, loving environment within all levels of the church for the blind and those with low vision is the privilege of every Christian.
- Accommodation. The goal is to help God’s family be inclusive in principle and practice. Possibility Ministries promotes the inclusion of qualified persons with special needs in church committees, forums, volunteer services opportunities, and other ministries. These activities should be planned with accommodations in mind.
- Ministry/Service. A major goal for each Possibility Ministry is to work towards restoring a sense of dignity and personal worth in the individuals served. Linked with this objective is both the discovery of hidden talents and the use of one’s talents in the service to others. The example of Jesus was clearly reaching out with understanding, hope, and belief in the individual while opening doors of opportunity for service. Restoring meaning to life is at the heart of all forms of Possibility Ministries.
- Blindness and Visual Impairment Booklet
- Preparation Strategies for the Blind and Low Vision Ministry
- Specific Action Strategies for a Blind and Low Vision Ministry
- Christian Record Services for the Blind Ministry
- Is Anyone Listening Pt.1
- Is Anyone Listening Pt.2
- Is Anyone Listening Pt.3